I’m going on vacation for the next two weeks! Yay!
So I’ve planned an activity for my sub that will carry over both weeks. Thanks to all the people online who posted ideas for Olympic Games! Here are the two I used for inspiration:
I started by checking up on what games will be played in the 2012 Summer Olympics (You may notice that baseball is not going to be included for the first time). Then I made a list of games I thought could be adapted to be appropriate for Sunday.
Archery: Throwing something at a target
Relay: Pass this around
Hurdles: Jumping over things
Discus Throw: Frisbee
Marathon: Can you do this for the whole song?
Triple Jump: How many jumps can you do?
Tennis/Badminton/table tennis: Racquet game
Basket ball: Throw things into a basket
Kayak: slalom (whitewater kayaking)
Equestrian: Pretend horses
Soccer: Kick things
Gymnastics: Ribbon, hoop, balance beam, creative or synchronized movement to music
Sailing: Toy boat
Volleyball/water polo: Ball toss
Weight lifting: Can you lift this for the whole song?
Wrestling: Thumb Wrestling
I took the list of songs we need to practice for the program and matched them with games that I thought would be appropriate to my goals and the sacredness of the song.
Goals for this lesson:
- Practice the words to the primary songs
- Practice appropriate volume for the chapel
- Plan a fun lesson so the substitute has a great time!
Here’s what I came up with:
- As a Child of God 3 verses Synchronized swimming: everybody stay together while you change the ‘how to sing’ signs (loo/la, hum/words, everyone/only kids)
- H 239 Choose the Right 3 verses Relay: (This is going to get a little crazy) Pick 4 kids. Have them each stand in a corner of the room. Assign the rest of the kids to one of those corners/teams. The team captains get to walk the torch from group to group (you’ll have to walk with them the first time). The group whose captain is holding the torch sings; everyone else hums. Continue for all 3 verses.
- 159 Stand for the Right Wrestling: Thumb wrestle with your neighbor
- 103 When I am Baptized 2 verses Volleyball/water polo: Balloon toss (make it water polo by spraying the kids with a squirt bottle). Blow up a balloon. Let the kids “keep it in the air” but they have to stay sitting in their seats or you’ll take it away. It is very hard for the kids to sing and play—so make them do it again without the balloon if needed.
- 82 I wonder when He comes again 1 verse Gymnastics: Have 8-10 kids come up front to wave streamers during the song. Everyone else can do free-form arm movements.
- 120 Nephi’s Courage 3 verses Marathon: can you do ___ for the whole verse? (jumping, standing on one foot, hold your hand in the air, spin) have three kids some up front and each picks a different action for each verse.
- 281 The Wise Man and the Foolish Man 2 verses Weight Lifting: can you hold this heavy thing for the whole song? Have one or two kids come up to the front and hold a heavy book for the whole song.
- 78 I’m Trying to be like Jesus 2 verses Archery: throw a bean bag at the target drawn in chalk on the board to determine how you’ll sing the song (fast, slow, loud, quiet)
- 276 Do as I’m doing Swimming, Rowing, Whitewater Kayaking, High Jump, soccer, Ride a horse, Martial Arts, etc. (Bonus song!)
- Jr only: 266 If you’re happy Racing: do it as fast as you can (Bonus!)
- Sr only: 158 Dare to do Right Racing: do it as fast as you can!
The songs can be done in any order, hopefully getting through 5 per week. If more songs get done then they can repeat their favorites the second week.
- bean bag
- how to sing signs
- squirt bottle
- heavy book (scriptures)
- stopwatch (optional)